← Previous Entries    Next Entries →

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Indian Summer

Don't usually see butterflies paying attention to the brugmansias...

It's some dry... but these things keep blooming.

The diclipta suberecta seems late in blooming this year.
I have a terrific june picture here (from 2012)

Solanum pseudocapsicum
This plant (jerusalem cherry) looks like a pepper plant, and this guy even tasted the fruit 
Supposed to be poisonous... Not a good idea to go around sampling stuff that hasn't been positively identified... but I'm just as guilty...

For instance... this licorice goldenrod, I was chewing up the leaves, and making tea... for years before I thought of searching edibility... It's safe... But... I just got lucky... 
The Florida anise bush  commonly used in landscaping smells like anise... tastes like anise,  isn't supposed to be safe to even taste!

This is a  pepper... I pot up one or two of these plants for my kitchen once the weather turns "cold"... Cold is a relative term... A Yankee might scoff at what I consider cold... but the pepper plant dies... 

Or dies back at least... and that is plenty cold for me... Back in February, I posted a pic of one of these plants that had survived our winter... and was coming back from last year's roots!

Cooking sage and daisy mums

Camellia sasanqua from seed planted last winter.

If it ever starts raining I'm going to move these mulberry seedlings into my yard.

Still have lots of butterflies... I still have zebra longwings too, but I can't seem to catch them with the camera.

A fellow blogger sent some everglades tomato seed at the end of August... I potted these up when the weather report called for a freeze... Luckily... I didn't lose anything but my late-planted watermelons... But it got within 1 degree of the record cold for our area... I kept a fire going in the fireplace that day (Oct 26).

Hyacinth beans

Winter interest... (Pycnanthemum sp.)

Little blue stem

Hardy orange (Poncirus trifoliata)
Kicking myself... Cooked up some stewed pears, and wanted citrus to add to the mix... totally forgot about these...

 

2 Comments:

Blogger David The Good said...

Looking great. I used to grow hyacinth beans... love the foliage.

November 5, 2013 at 9:30 PM  
Blogger stiener said...

The first freeze is coming here next week. Weeks earlier than the recent past. Fitting end to a tough garden year on the Post Oak Savannah. Hope springs eternal, though. Thanks for the tour of your great gardens.

November 10, 2013 at 8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
← Previous Entries    Next Entries →