← Previous Entries    Next Entries →

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Where the wild things are

I have so many pictures this week, ima put a buncha caterpillar shots over on my tumblr.

The zebra longwing finally quit the nervous circling of the may-pop vines, and got down to business...
Look close, and you can see her depositing an egg...
egg!

The Hyssop-leaf thoroughwort (Eupatorium hyssopifolium) is never going to be a candidate for the flower bed... but seen in a certain light, has a certain attractiveness... Those layered platforms...
These little sweeties (top pic Five-banded Tiphiid Wasps), (bottom pic love bug), seem to be enjoying the eupatorium blooms...

Who could ever get tired of hummingbird pics?

While wandering around the garden drinking my morning coffee, I discovered this beauty hunting breakfast... Judging by where this dude was looking, I'd say that vole was definitely on the menu!
(click the pic to resize)
You go get those nasty voles!

The vernonia altissima is finally blooming... This is the locally native ironweed that grows in ditches around macon... 
Had a heck of a time getting it to grow out in the dry sand...
I'm not seeing any pollinators visiting... I wonder why the butterflies are giving it a miss...

This tiny spiderwort flower may be Commelinaceae, seems like the 3 flower petals = tradescantia, 2 petals = commelina isn't as definitive as we would like... If/when I find the definite name for this pretty, I'll have to come back and add it in...

The blue curls  (Trichostema dichotomum) aren't doing nearly as well with the rains this year... as they did last year in the heat and drought...

I don't like to keep posting the same critters or the same flowers... but this tyger on the tithonia surrounded by hyacinth bean flowers is a neat image...

 

6 Comments:

Blogger Jean Campbell said...

Re putting the same critters again, if you find it interesting, we should too.

I haven't seen any blue curls. Maybe they're like Rabbit Tobacco, they'll just suddenly turn up now that it's dry.

September 10, 2013 at 7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never get tired of seeing beautiful butterfly pictures!

September 11, 2013 at 6:13 AM  
Blogger Jean Campbell said...

Yay for the Longwing, boo to the lovebugs. I did see blue curls today.

I need help, please. I have a new mystery plant. Do you know it?

http://seedscatterer.blogspot.com/2013/09/i-forgot-to-smell-that-plant.html

September 14, 2013 at 5:46 PM  
Blogger Jean Campbell said...

I am so sorry, I answered my own question before you got there. That little quirk used to drive my Mama crazy when I asked for help with my homework. If I can formulate the question, then the answer comes easily.

I think I'll pass on perilla with peppers and soy sauce and such.

Thanks for your intention to help.

September 16, 2013 at 2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind of snake? The orange color is what throws me. BTW, you asked if the plant at Tifft was eupatorium like you have, it is Snakeroot, Ageratina altissima. The do look similar. Stinging Nettle looks a little like it too, but is not in flower now. Nice photos of all the critters, I do like your hummers.

September 19, 2013 at 7:31 PM  
Blogger Gardens-In-The-Sand said...

I'm thinking corn snake...
I posted some additional pictures for you
I'm surprised that you still have algeratina up in dairy country... Mine hasn't bloomed yet... but soon.

September 20, 2013 at 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


← Previous Entries    Next Entries →