← Previous Entries    Next Entries →

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Autumn Naturals

It seems like people often complain about the lack of Autumn colour in their gardens... Prolly their own fault... kill the pretty flowers and plant turf... yuck!

 It's been my experience that I always have lots of Autumn colour in my Georgia gardens... That's when everything blooms and the monarchs show up...

Aureolaria pectinata, Southern Oak-leach

 
Heterotheca subaxillaris, camphorweed

Croptilon divaricatum, slender scratch daisy

Silk grass aster (pityopsis aspera)
Leaf detail

Chrysopsis gossypina, cottony goldenaster

licorice goldenrod, covered in luv-bugs...

clinopodium georgianum

cudweed (Gnaphalium sp.)

Goldenrod (Solidago nemoralis)
Patch of goldenrod
Monarch visits solidago.

agalinis purpurea
With caterpillar...

Beauty berry (callicarpa americana)

salvia azurea

Evening primrose (Oenothera biennis)

I didn't think there was a need to mention this... But after Linda Furry Jones (southern rural route) posted about her allergies... I guess I better.

I suffer from hay fever too. The goldenrod is NOT the culprit!

(click the pic for larger size)
This stuff is causing our distress!
Get rid of the ragweed, and keep the goldenrods.

Ragweed is wind pollinated, goldenrod is pollinated by insects.

 

6 Comments:

Blogger stiener said...

Great color and thank God fall is finally here!. The camphor weed is a staple in my prairie patches and springs up all over the property. I like the stuff myself.

September 29, 2013 at 6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The goldenrod is bad for people like me with serious allergies. I can't have it in my yard but I admire it everywhere that it grows in the wild. My rudbeckia longifolia and swamp daisy have started to bloom; coneflowers still in bloom.

September 29, 2013 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Gardens-In-The-Sand said...

@ southern...
You musta missed the memo.
Here's the culprit!

Ellen Honeycutt's ragweed pics

And yes... I suffer from hay fever as well...
And I'm out there pulling all of that nasty ragweed I see... But I leave the goldenrods alone...

September 29, 2013 at 9:22 AM  
Blogger Jean Campbell said...

Enjoyed the whole post.

If we look closely at ragweed, it has those teeny little flowers whose pollen is light enough to float on the air. Goldenrod pollen is big and heavy and sticky so it doesn't travel. It just gets blamed because it is visible. The same happens in the spring when yellow pine pollen covers everything and we blame it while the oak pollen we can't see clogs our sinuses.

I have a hard time reconciling to Bobwhite Quail eating Bidens seeds when the dog comes in with Spanish Needles in her fur. Going to name the next dog "Vector."

September 29, 2013 at 2:01 PM  
Anonymous Charlie@Seattle Trekker said...

You have done and amazing job of bringing beauty to what appears to be a pretty hostile environment.

October 1, 2013 at 11:36 PM  
Blogger Gardens-In-The-Sand said...

Hey Charlie, thnx for stopping by.
This dry sand hill environment is a far cry from the rains and good soil of Seattle...
But the point of the post... was these are the plants that were already here.

October 2, 2013 at 6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
← Previous Entries    Next Entries →