← Previous Entries    Next Entries →

Thursday, September 5, 2013

September in the garden

I'm seeing Florida's state butterfly... I was watching one this morning acting like it was carrying a heavy load, and couldn't decide on a good passionflower vine.
She'd circle one patch, and then make a wider circle, come back, and act like the vine wasn't good enough to lay her eggs on...

From: http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/bfly/zebra_longwing.htm
Common hosts are purple passionflower, Passiflora incarnata L.; corkystem passionflower, Passiflora suberosa L.; yellow passionflower Passiflora lutea L.; and several other passionflower vines.
shoulda been fine... She was circling the passiflora incarnata... I also grow the passiflora lutea... Ima watch for those white cats...

 I have a magical disappearing  patch of Georgia savory (Clinopodium georgianum).
Supposed to be a rare plant... A tortoise showed me the patch back when I was first getting acquainted with the property.
I was like... cool! Sand mint!
And I've spent years trying to find that patch of clinopodium... again.
Spotted it again last month... don't know why it was so hard to re-discover... it was in the same place I remembered it in...
I potted up some, planted some close-up, even gave out a couple samples... Ima find out how well it acts in a garden setting. 

The Licorice goldenrod (solidago odora) is fixing to bloom...

I'm starting to see patches of monarda punctata in peak colour...
So are the scollids...

pipevine

Rebloom on the white vitex

The little bluestem (Schizachyrium scoparium) is starting to show some nice coloration...
Last autumn, I flagged those clumps with the best colour... and divided a clump this Spring...
Gotta say... this stuff likes being grown in cultivation...
 

 

4 Comments:

Blogger Jean Campbell said...

I finally got some shabby pics of the first Longwing to grace my garden in ten years, that I knew about. Miss Julie made a fine choice when she chose it to be Florida's state butterfly and I love our Tigers.

September 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

Your Bee Balm is amazing! I've never seen any like it before. Is it a native? Love you blog....I'm a follower....

September 7, 2013 at 9:11 AM  
Blogger Gardens-In-The-Sand said...

The monarda is a local native, yes... better than native... monarda punctata is a natural!
I posted on Spring naturals back in April, I should probably revisit the concept...

September 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger Corner Gardener Sue said...

Thanks for leaving a nice comment on mine so that I could come find your blog. It's fun finding new folks who like to garden with nature in mind.

I love that Monarda! I've never heard of Licorice goldenrod. It reminds me of Zig zag goldenrod.

I want to check out your post about naturals.

September 8, 2013 at 3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
← Previous Entries    Next Entries →