← Previous Entries    Next Entries →

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day – October 2013

I don't often post at the right time to participate in the GBBD, and even less often do I remember to mention the list...

Plenty of pretties in the garden, even with a return to the dry stuff. Pictures need to be taken in the am, as afternoon pics show wilted plants... Mid-day photos have that washed-out look that we get from that harsh sub-tropical sun.

Ageratina altissima
Be sure to click the pic to enlarge...
This plant is said to be poisonous, that if the milk goats/cows are permitted to graze this pretty, we could get very sick or die from the milk! I don't have dairy animals... 

conoclinium coelestinum
I always like to post these lookalikes together, they bloom at the same time, and are often found in proximity of each other... but they don't seem to be related...

cyclamen hederifolium

I forgot to post this giant swallowtail in last week's post...

Cloudless Sulphurs
Plenty of sulfurs at this time of the year... My reds tend to be ablaze of yellows... every time I walk past.

 gulf fritillaries
still plenty of these guys as well....

 This beauty seems to be a dwarf version of switch grass, but it doesn't increase like switch grass... I'm going to try dividing...

helianthus angustifolius
These sunflowers continue to be show-stoppers... The photo fails to do them justice...
I feel like they're breath-taking on the side of the road when I drive into town... and the mowers are busily churning out brown stubble for our viewing pleasure... just as fast as they can.... 
Why hasn't the government shut-down put a stop to that??? 
Why doesn't the furloughs affect this bad stuff?

 boltonia asteroides

Not a flower...



 

3 Comments:

Blogger Cerberus German shepherds said...

What a mass of flowers....happy gbbd!

October 15, 2013 at 12:14 PM  
Blogger Jean Campbell said...

I meant to leave a message saying that I thought the pink grass was Eragrostis/Purple Love Grass. I guess blogger ate it.

My ruellia is blooming for the first time ever since I moved it to a pore spot.

October 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM  
Blogger Gardens-In-The-Sand said...

I call it "love grass" in the post A step beyond
When writing this post here at blogspot, I was in a hurry (writing from the library)... couldn't quickly locate it on google... Regular switch grass showed up... but the dwarf variety that I have didn't match the descriptions I was finding... and rather than mis-label...

Which ruellia?

October 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
← Previous Entries    Next Entries →