← Previous Entries    Next Entries →

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

April Flowers

Native crossvine


Natural coral honeysuckle
Ok, Native plants aficionados... Can you explain the difference between a native, a locally native, and a natural?
Red buckeye; Also a native...

And since I'm not strictly about growing native plants.... here's an exotic azalea... 



Poppies are blooming... Here's a time lapse of the same patch... the patch starts out red... and eventually turns mostly purple...
As gorgeous as these are... I'm kicking myself for not having planted more... But... Pictures just don't do them justice, and I forget how much I like them when October planting time rolls around...

Bearded iris in foreground.... Louisiana iris in background....

Found my black rat snake coachwhip snake... tied up in bird netting ... cut it loose
Maybe y'all remember the king snake from 2013?
You'd think I'd quit trying to use bird netting in a nature garden... But... I was trying to protect my baby carrots... sure is hard on my valuable snakes, though...
I'm using window screens over the seedlings in pots... I'm going to have to start using the screen out in the beds...

 

3 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

Your Poppies are amazing!So is your native cross vine. It reminds me of our Trumpet Vine. Because of our crazy weather, you're spring isn't quite as far ahead of ours as it usually is....Happy Gardening!

April 22, 2016 at 9:30 AM  
Blogger Gardens-In-The-Sand said...

They're both bignoniaceae. But... Those tap roots on the trumpet creeper make it a serious concern when growing near the veggie garden...
Dunno if the cross vine is hardy up there, But, you might try researching bignonia capreolata. The internets is full of amazing pictures of walls covered in bloom... I try to get decent pictures, but alas... None yet that do the plant justice.
Anyway... The vine is easily controlled... I was pulling out the adventitious runners this spring as I prepped the bed prior to the appearance of the self sown cypress vine.... Yeah, a bit messy to grow the cypress vine on top of the cross vine, but.... Multiple seasons of bloom keeps that section of the fence standing....

April 22, 2016 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Ellen Honeycutt said...

It looks lovely at your place! That crossvine is amazing!

April 23, 2016 at 8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
← Previous Entries    Next Entries →