← Previous Entries    Next Entries →

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Brrr...

Ice on the goldfish pool...

Frost flowers... Verbesina above, dog fennel (Eupatorium capillifolium) below.

Frosty chickweed... it's so short that I can't hand-pull it... was watching a mockingbird feasting on it... and of course no camera... It flew away before I got back with it....
So.... I eventually was able to get a few pictures this afternoon...
 Cardinal onna fence post
 Towhee in the chickweed
Some kinda wren, I reckon
Kinda difficult to get bird pics when you aren't shooting bird feeders...
While I was putting up barbed wire over the last coupla days, I was seeing truckloads of birds... everytime I walked past the garden... Of course.... no camera handy... really woulda needed to shoot action shots... can't get birds on the wing with single pics.... and they rarely pose on posts....

Here's a pic of the fence cutting through a nice thicket of blackberry bushes mixed up with wisteria... Guess which one I'd wish gone?
Hint... it's the invasive wisteria.... the blackberry actually has uses... While I rarely see berries... it's so dry... they wither up on the vine.... The briars make good habitat for the birds... They're also medicinal...
Here's a deer stand right on the property line... they're who the fence is for (poachers & thieves).
 I spoke to the sheriff's deputies... Hunting stand on the property line... nothing I can do...
 Seems like common sense they'd cut a path through the trees on the property that they're renting... put the stand out of eyesight.... at the very least...

Kitty eatin potato peels...

 

4 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

You got some great winter photos. I love all the birds..they are still there in the winter.....we just have to look for them!
I hear ya about invasive plants. I've become so aware of what is harmful to my environment and have been pulling vinca out of my garden forever.....
When I was a kid, there were hunters in the woods behind our house.....I'm so glad that's no longer a problem. Good for you for fencing them out!

February 12, 2016 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

P.S. A cat eating potato peals??

February 12, 2016 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger Gardens-In-The-Sand said...

That cat is funny... It will find raw potatoes... And growl at the other cats while eating them...
Incidentally, they all like cooked tater peels...
And... Tomatoes, cukes, watermelon...
Good for you... Pulling the worthless vinca... Nasty stuff...

February 12, 2016 at 12:50 PM  
Blogger Ellen Honeycutt said...

I agree it's hard to capture birds when not around a bird feeder. But I love to watch them and that makes me happy.

February 12, 2016 at 3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
← Previous Entries    Next Entries →