← Previous Entries    Next Entries →

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Butterflies

Summer means butterflies at Gardens in the Sand...
People in the area complain that they aren't seeing pollinators...

I doubt that anyone is going to see butterflies when they are busily putting out 7-dust on everything... they're not getting any better veggies than I am...

And... Butterflies can't eat grass...


Yay! Monarchs... Finally.

 She's laying eggs!


Spicebush Swallowtail





Gulf Fritillary... I like to get pics of those ultra-violet spots on the bottoms of the wings... when I can. 



Georgia state butterfly...
 When I started gardening here... these tygers were rare... I got busy planting poplar trees... I have lots now...

Black form... Gorgeous!

 It's always a bit of a challenge to get multiples... when they're mating... it's a bit more so...

 

3 Comments:

Blogger Jean Campbell said...

Every year we forget how long it is between the big broods in early spring and the next wave in July and people start to comment about how there are no butterflies. They're coming back now.

I got great pics of Spicebush and Pipevine Swallowtails feasting together on a disgusting pile the dog left in the yard but nobody wants to see them and the other pollinators that were there.

I saw a Zebra day before yesterday, and a RSP yesterday who came in to taste the dirt on the greenhouse floor. Gulf Frits are back, Skippers are back; they're mostly all back. Giants will be here soon.

Susie said on Sunday that they're back at the Jones Lab in Newton, too.

July 16, 2013 at 3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great butterfly photos, Stone. I haven't seen the two below your Spicebush Swallowtail around here. Last year I had one medium-sized milkweed bush and hatched lots of monarchs. This year, I have lots of small milkweeds in medium shade that don't seem to want to grow and don't seem to be attracting any Momma Monarchs. Guess the milkweed needs to be in full sun.

July 16, 2013 at 3:54 PM  
Blogger stiener said...

Wonderful pictures. Now that we finally gotten some rain, maybe we will begin to see more of these beauties.

July 16, 2013 at 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
← Previous Entries    Next Entries →