← Previous Entries    Next Entries →

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Late Summer Wildflowers

A coupla unexpected reblooms...
White campion (Silene alba) blooms in the Spring, at the End of April, the first of May.
Seeing rebloom is nice.

I've found white campion on a weed site... I wouldn't call this flower a weed.
The only way that I've been able to propagate this jewel is by digging it, and cutting pieces off... like heuchera.
Pretty scary stuff.


The cross vine blooms about a month later than the bladder campion, generally at the end of May, the first of June.

I haven't had the big flush of bloom on the cross-vine out here in the sand that everyone gets in town, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.


Here's the tree that everyone loves to hate... This volunteer (is there any other kind?) mimosa is in serious danger of removal, but Ima enjoy the blooms while they're here.

Partridge pea. What can anyone say about a plant with large flowers, that doesn't require a lick of effort? Except... Where can I get some of those...

You'd think that something this cool would be included in those wild-flower mixes!

Bumble bee pays a visit.

The leaves fold up a night like a sensitive plant.
The Partridge pea is supposed to be a butterfly host plant also... I did see one caterpillar, but the battery died on the camera before I could get the shot...

I don't often see those babies after they crawl off and make chrysalises... this usually happens before I can get back out with a recharged camera.


The blue curls (Trichostema dichotomum) are blooming right on time.



Blue curl plant just before it blooms


This was originally purchased as a "golden showers tree"... I'm having a bit of difficulty tracking down which senna / cassia shrub this one is.

In the clay (in Macon), this shrub drops lots of seed, and there's babies everywhere... Here in the sand, I'm not seeing any babies.


Got some oranges (Poncirus trifoliata), I haven't actually sampled these, I've just taken everybody's word for it that they're too bitter to eat...

They're pretty, though... You're supposed to be able to make orange-ade with them, and why couldn't you use them when grilling?
Hmmm.

Sand-hill ironweed (Vernonia-angustifolia). This native sand-hill perennial is eluding my efforts to propagate, and I really like this beauty.

The typical ironweeds won't grow out here, I've brought them out several times, and they die almost as soon as I set them out.

Seed-heads


The butterflies continue to be very photogenic, I'm not sure how I got so many flower pictures without butterflies in them...



The lantana bushes are always covered in flowers and butterflies...
This unimproved yellow/pink high-bush lantana does produce some seeds, and I occasionally saw seedlings in the clay garden, but out here in the sand... never.

 

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog has a wealth of info on wildflower ID. I would have a hard tome removing Mimosa too. It is such a pretty plant. Are these Swallowtails different than the Black that visit my garden? The top one looks very different.

August 29, 2012 at 7:55 AM  
Blogger Gardens-In-The-Sand said...

Hey Donna, This is what I was talking about on your black swallowtail post.

I think the ones posted above are spicebush swallowtails (Papilio troilus).

They use my sassafras trees as a host plant, and ignore the carrots n stuff that I plant for the eastern black swallowtail...

August 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I hope you are getting some good rain this week!

August 29, 2012 at 7:23 PM  
Blogger Gardens-In-The-Sand said...

We've gotten some rain. Thanks.
The Autumn crops are coming up nicely.

August 31, 2012 at 7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
← Previous Entries    Next Entries →