← Previous Entries    Next Entries →

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Wind Storm

We've had some record-breaking heat... I think it got up to 108° one day last week. My plants were suffering already in the dry sand, those triple digit temps pushed some stuff right over the edge.

dead cucumber vinesHere's the patch of cukes... They were just starting to produce.
The green stuff isn't cucumber vines...

After the heat, God took pity and sent me some rain, but he wrapped it up in a buncha wind... And knocked down some of my garden trees.


uprooted chinaberry treeI posted pics of the blooms on this china berry tree this Spring. Chinaberry is a junk tree, and there are plenty of babies, but it just won't be the same... That was a beauty...



pine treeWhile pine trees are unattractive, this one was very close to the house, and broke limbs on a beautiful oak next to the house... I was lucky that it hit the oak, rather than the house!

My garden fence had trees land on it in several places, but I was able to repair the damage before Bambi discovered the new entrances.


tomatoes with sun scaldOne more pic of the heat damage... Sun scalded tomatoes.


ripe tomatoes on plantI am getting some good ones, though.


kitten with grasshopperThe kitten doesn't eat these big black grasshoppers, but she will play with the ones I catch for her...


butterfly jailButterfly Jail

sunflowersThe wind missed a few of these sunflowers...

 

4 Comments:

Blogger Julie Stone said...

I've never seen sun scalded tomatoes before, that's freaky! Your kitten is adorable, don't let her eat any wasps, one of mine learned that lesson the hard way. Your sunflowers are lovely, I wish I'd planted some, too late now.

July 5, 2012 at 3:27 PM  
Blogger Gardens-In-The-Sand said...

Plenty of time for you to plant sunflowers. I plant beans in August...

I useta plant the corn off the plants that had just produced, and get another crop.

Can't do that with sunflowers, I'd plant this year's seed, and they wouldn't come up till next year!
So... plant seed grown last year.

July 5, 2012 at 7:24 PM  
Anonymous fouraughtersfarm said...

I cannot imagine trying to function in the kind of heat you have been dealing with. I live in Minnesota because I do not deal with heat well, and today will be the first day with heat indext below 100 in a while. Even had straight temps over 100 for a few days, but I think my plants made it through. Will be out to check the big gardens this weekend. Take care. Tom.

July 6, 2012 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger Gardens-In-The-Sand said...

Thanks for visiting, Tom.

I'd rather the humid heat than the intense cold of Minnesota. I've been up in yall's part of the country, being frosted on at the end of July is not my idea of a good time.

Last time I was up north, I got caught in the snow while trying to get back south on a motorcycle.

We didn't get any snow last winter, and it only frosted a handful of times...

We don't have to work in the heat... That's what a shade tree is for.

July 6, 2012 at 9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
← Previous Entries    Next Entries →