← Previous Entries    Next Entries →

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

July blooms


When I first started gardening here, It seemed like the humming birds would look for humming bird feeders next to the structures, while ignoring the flowers that I was planting for them... They eventually figured it out...






The goldfinches had no problem finding the sunflowers...






I hate these 7 minute itch plants (Cnidoscolus stimulosus)
With all the butterflies pollinating them, I don't think I'll be rid of them any time soon.






These black grasshoppers are bigger than the plants they eat...






Wonder what the cat is hunting...






verbesina
The verbesina is blooming.
I found this cool wildflower growing along the side of the road, being mowed. I pulled a coupla pieces, it came up like mint, and was as easy to transplant. The yellow variety hasn't started to bloom yet.


white unknown wildflower

This is an interesting plant... The flowers resemble lavender. This guy is a natural sand-hill resident. I need to post it for identification at a plant forum.
I posted the flower, and got an immediate response... Field snakecotton
You really can't call something a weed when it only grows in sand where little else can grow.

red wildflower


Florida tasselflower (Emilia fosbergii) This plant showed up this year, I only have this one... Ima let it grow, in spite of it's close resemblance to a couple of rogue customers...


river oats



River oats are very pretty, but difficult to photograph.




mint



Mint attracts some cool pollinators...
Meet the Double-banded Scoliid (Scolia bicinta).
When not pollinating mint, the double-banded scoliid catches beetle grubs for the next generation.






milkweed seedTropical milkweed seeds.

As always, the pictures click for larger views.

 

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the opposite problem with hummingbirds. They turn up their beaks at my feeders and I religiously cleaned and refreshed them daily. They love the Monarda and the Trumpet Vine, making it harder to sneak up on them with a camera. My next post will have some really nice closeup photos of my frequent flyers.

I never saw a black grasshopper. I am amazed you got such a good shot. Today I was shooting in my garden and the black wasps did not come out so well. Even carpenter bees are not as good. Black is hard to shoot in sunny weather. And would you not know.. my mint does not get any action. It is potted and close to the house, but that does not usually stop bees and butterflies.

July 25, 2012 at 3:20 PM  
Blogger Ragged Robin said...

There are some lovely plants and flowers in your post and wonderful to see the hummingbird and insects in your garden :)

July 26, 2012 at 5:49 AM  
Blogger Gardens-In-The-Sand said...

Ima keep an eye open fer yer nxt post, Donna... The good humming bird pic was on the July 19 post.
I'm a bit of a snob, don't want feeder pictures, prefer the birds out in the garden.
How about iffen I catch up a buncha my black grasshoppers n send them to you? ;b

Hey Robin... Thanks fer coming fer a visit!

July 26, 2012 at 7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
← Previous Entries    Next Entries →