← Previous Entries    Next Entries →

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

GBBD August

The Garden Bloggers Bloom Day is such a neat concept, and I always want to post something... getting the pics on the right day is spotty...

The Front Yard


Butterfly pea (Centrosema virginianum), makes a nice display...





These little dayflowers (Commelina erecta var. angustifolia), are cute, they're a very different critter than the usual dayflower... which plagues a flower-bed, covers the ground... rooting at every joint.

St. Andrew's cross


Garden Spider


wild sweet potato

Prarie Broomweed (Amphiachyris dracunculoides)

This yard is completely unvisited by the lawn mower... I hate those things!

There's a lot of trouble in the suburban front yard, Neighbors who want to dictate the acceptable appearance of the yard, and I feel bad for them, I think mine is ever so much nicer!

The Garden

Hyacinth bean in bloom



The clasping heliotrope continues to attract butterflies... I have a patch of low-growing lantana next to the heliotrope, and this plant out-competes the lantana!

Swamp hibiscus... Not the best choice in a sand hill garden...
While I can keep these things alive, they seldom look like anything here.

An interesting combination, silphium astericus and apple mint in bloom, with bumble bee.

Sulphur yellow butterfly visits salvia coccinea, Let's not tell the humming birds, k?

Zinnia and gulf fritillaries.

Tiger swallowtail and zinnia.

The butterflies found the tithonia!



 

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your yard is teeming with critters with all your native plantings. I never saw wild Sweet Potato, it is a pretty flower, similar to bindweed, Convolvulaceae, that grows up here and strangles everything or Ipomoea that is also pretty and vining. I am guessing it is well behaved. I agree that mowers are not such a fine garden machine. I only had mine out twice this year due to the dry weather. My grass is barely grass anymore, but weeds. And they are actually weeds like Plaintain and crabgrass. Hope you have a fine GBBD.

August 15, 2012 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger Sunray Gardens said...

You have lots of lovely blooms happening at your place. Love to see the butterfly photos.

Cher Sunray Gardens

August 15, 2012 at 9:10 AM  
Blogger Gardens-In-The-Sand said...

Hey Donna,
Crabgrass is a weed... Plantain is often listed in herbal sites, as edible and Medicinal...
Wild sweet potato is extremely well-behaved, and I wish that it was easier to propagate, or dig to share...

Thanks for coming by Cher.

August 15, 2012 at 9:28 AM  
Blogger Dorothy Borders said...

Love your pictures, especially that garden spider and the butterflies. Your garden looks wonderful.

August 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM  
Blogger Town Mouse said...

Oh, I'm so impressed by all the butterflies! Thanks for sharing, and happy bloom day!

August 15, 2012 at 10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very acceptable! I love the butterflies - you have a healthy garden!!

August 16, 2012 at 8:22 AM  
Blogger Country Mouse said...

Wow - ditto my co-mouse's comment! And I love the one of the spider "embracing" the flower. I was gathering madia seeds yesterday and the box I was dumping the seeds into was crawling with tiny spiders and other bugs - I must have disturbed a lot of recently hatched babies. They had that clasping look to them - I see those kinds of spiders a bit larger, lurking in various blooms - they have the look of a crab spreading its claws. I scooped them all out and put them back on the madia.

August 16, 2012 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger scottweberpdx said...

Beautiful blooms! I'm so jealous of your Hyacinth Bean...I tried growing it once here and it never did much :-(

August 18, 2012 at 12:13 AM  
Blogger Gardens-In-The-Sand said...

Thanks Scott.
I posted before getting the picture I wanted, with the hummingbird.
Hyacinth beans grow easily in our heat... Maybe you need to come down to our heat and humidity and plant stuff. :D

August 18, 2012 at 12:54 PM  
Blogger Landbohaven said...

Jeg kom bare lige forbi.
Tak for de gode billeder af dine skønne blomster og af de smukke sommerfugle.
Ha´ en god aften.

August 18, 2012 at 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
← Previous Entries    Next Entries →