← Previous Entries    Next Entries →

Thursday, December 18, 2014

southern winter

 Every garden I've started for myself in the deep south...starts out as a thicket.
But... I like to heat and cook with wood... so... it's all good.

Spotted this pipsissewa today... while picking up the firewood.

 These little birds like the thicket...
And... leaving all the standing weeds and wildflowers feeds them...

Saw a bird eating this goldenrod seed recently... little bugger flew away as soon as I pointed the camera at it...
By gardening for the birds... I prevent the predation that occurs at bird feeders... and the spread of birdflu and whatever else is going around.

I was trying to describe mullein to a non-plant person recently...
I was like... you know... verbascum, uh... that plant that you use when nature calls in the wilderness...

The rabbits are eating my kale...

 Here's a fresh planting of collards... maybe the rabbits will let me have some some...

I planted this thistle...
I had a thistle produce bloom a coupla years ago, and I failed to collect seed... I thought that having set seed... I'd get all I wanted... wrong! I had to re-aquire seed for this supposed invasive..

Some actual colour in the winter garden... 

 

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Very nice! :-)

December 28, 2014 at 7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I feel guilty - I have bird feeders!

What do you do with the thistle?

January 1, 2015 at 7:36 PM  
Blogger Gardens-In-The-Sand said...

What do I do with the thistle?
Look at it... lol... Take pics of the pollinators...
Did you visit my thistle link?

January 5, 2015 at 5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
← Previous Entries    Next Entries →