← Previous Entries    Next Entries →

Friday, August 16, 2013

A bit of food and a buncha flowers

My last posts have been mostly birds n bugs n hardly ne flowers or veggies... I'll try to make up for that with this post :)
Trail of tears beans

The monarda punctata has begun to bloom

Rebloom on the penstemon

Pears 

The rudbeckia laciniata has also begun.

The agalinis are full of buckeye cats... no flowers yet, though.

Sea shore mallow, or Salt marsh mallow 
(kosteletzkya virginica)

Bush morning glory (Ipomoea carnea)
This thing is 10 foot tall, and the blooms are above eye level!

The partridge peas (Chamaecrista fasciculata) are in bloom!

Of course, the coffee weeds (Senna obtusifolia) have been blooming...
(These early morning pictures are a funny blue colour... apologies.)

The sand hill ironweed (veronia angustafolia) is beautiful
I was going to wait until I had pics of the Vernonia altissima to compare with, but...
 I've a feeling that this variety will be finished by then.

Sweet Autumn clematis (Clematis terniflora) always puts on a show... not especially attractive to the butterflies, though...



The Japanese anemone don't put on a show worth shux, a few blooms now, which close before other ones open. All those buds... misleading.

I'm not especially a fan of hydrangea, but someone I know did a bit of cutting back (this Spring), and a few branches accidentally came home with me in the back of my truck... 
I plugged them into the ground, and blooms ever since.

Finally, How about another picture of the centrosema? 
I collected seed last year of the partridge peas, and they came up fine. I tried to collect some of the centrosema, but... they got lost or something... Will definitely make a greater effort, as this beauty deserves a place of pride in the native garden...

 

3 Comments:

Blogger rowan said...

Those beans look good, I love colorful veggies. Easy to see for picking too.

August 17, 2013 at 4:39 AM  
Blogger stiener said...

The punctata is way past it`s prime here in Texas. I want soem of that sand hill ironweed badly! The Baldwins ironweed just doesn`t want to grow in this sand.

August 22, 2013 at 6:33 AM  
Blogger Gardens-In-The-Sand said...

I want to propagate the sandhill ironweed badly!
I've planted seed over and over, and I haven't figured out how to get it to come up yet :(

Sucks that you can't get the locally native ironweed to grow... We have vernonia altissima in these parts... I brought it out several times... the transplants died, the seeds wouldn't grow...

But with all the rain this year... the seeds I scattered last winter are up... the transplant I set out this Spring is getting ready to bloom...

it might actually survive if it gets established well enough before the weather reverts to the normal endless drought.

August 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
← Previous Entries    Next Entries →