← Previous Entries    Next Entries →

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

After the freeze

The mercury dropped to 21 degrees Thursday morning
 breaking the previous record of 25 degrees set on Nov. 14, 1968.
Frost bloom on the salvia

Remenants of the summer garden.

Colour on the oak leaf hydrangea

Brugs laid to waste...

Well... I can still use the pepperz...

There's still seeds to collect...
(chenopodium giganteum, crotalaria spectabilis, and sesbania herbacea)

The sassafras have great colouration... Should probably collect some leaves (for recipe seasoning) before they all drop...

 

3 Comments:

Blogger David The Good said...

I'm dreading the upcoming freezes. The next 10 days look clear and I need to hustle on getting the greenhouse together and my tender plants protected.

The peppers weren't ruined by the frost, eh? I've been picking a ton off my cayenne plants here. In the next couple of days I'm going to do another post on them.

November 19, 2013 at 6:19 PM  
Blogger Gardens-In-The-Sand said...

I usta have a buddy who said that he picked those hot peppers after the freeze out west... commercially.
On checking google... I can't find anything about commercial picking after a freeze... so maybe it was just one field, rather than a common practice.

Thin-walled peppers don't turn mushy... And I've left these little jewels on the plant in the garden all winter... picking as needed... Something you could probably try down in middle Florida...

November 20, 2013 at 10:39 AM  
Blogger Karin / Southern Meadows said...

I didn't welcome those cold temperatures! It is always sad to see the end of the fall blooms. I am surprised some of the trees around town still have such gorgeous color. I harvested my remaining peppers before the mercury dropped. I hope we still have some nice days I still have bulbs to plant :)

November 20, 2013 at 8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


← Previous Entries    Next Entries →